This is an update is specifically to share information with you about the system for acquiring clean water that has been developed by the Drops for Africa Team of the ASU EPICS Gold (Arizona State University) program to ensure the vitality of the plants, being a very important part of the project.
SafeSIPP (Sustainable Innovative Portable Purification), is developing the water system we have decided to utilize to retrieve and transport water for the My World In A Garden vertical food walls. SafeSIPP won $2000 in a previous competition which will be used for research and development of the purification system as well as the manufacturing of several prototypes.
Who makes up the SafeSipp TeamTM?
The group is made up of (from left to right in the picture on the right):
- Lindsay Fleming (Chief Executive Officer, background in Chemical Engineering),
- Jacob Arredondo (Chief Financial Officer, background Marketing & Finance),
- Taylor Barker (Chief Operating Officer, background Chemical Engineering & Pre-Law), and
- Jared Schoepf (Chief Technology Officer, background Chemical Engineering & Sustainability).
All who are part of ASU (Arizona State University) EPICS Gold program.
The Idea driving Drops for Africa PureRoll™
A low cost barrel comprised of 80% recycled material that simultaneously transports and purifies contaminated water. As the barrel rolls, the water being transported will undergo a filtration process to remove disease causing contaminants. By more than doubling the amount of water retrieved during each trip and improving the method of transportation, PureRoll will reduce travel time to and from the source by 75%. The purified water will be used for drinking, cooking, hygiene, and agriculture with remaining water being sold to surrounding communities and local businesses to stimulate the economy. PureRoll can be easily stored in homes to prevent theft as well as repaired by the owner with replaceable parts.
Perceived benefits* aside from bring clean water for the vertical foods walls:
- A single trip with PureRoll = Drinking water for 20 people daily (Access)
- A single trip with PureRoll = 4 day supply of water for agriculture and gardening of freshly grown produce (Nutrition)
- A single trip with PureRoll = Over three hours of available time daily to be devoted to seeking higher education (Education) *Information taken *from SafeSIPP (Sustainable Innovative Portable Purification) report.
Another amazing feature of the PureRoll is that with the strength of your pinky, one is able to pull the barrel behind them and also through rough terrain, i.e., rocky surfaces. Meaning that almost anyone in the community will be able to use this solution.
To see more about some of the work we do inn each cause click on each of the following links:
Open YOUR Heart and support the communities in rural South Africa and make a one-time donation or set up a monthly donation today, by visiting My Arms Wide Open and completing the donation form. Every dollar, referral and donation in kind helps!
The My Arms Wide Open® Charitable Foundation, was established to provide support and collaboration with mothers, children, and youth in South Africa, enabling them to build sustainable communities and responsible businesses. With stronger families, communities emerge as a solid foundation for society. In the process they re-engage fathers to repair the family unit. In our definition, mothers include women who are caring for children and include child-led households, working within the pre-teen and teen groups. Fathers include the fathers, young males and adult males within the community.