My Family My Community
Lack of infrastructure and social services prevents many South African communities from addressing fundamental human needs. It is estimated that as many as 80% of the rural population is unemployed. Large numbers of people live without family structure and no access to water or hygiene facilities. School classrooms are crammed with several grades in one room. Children return home to more children or an over-burdened elder, and too little or no food. HIV/AIDS as well as other problems around crime, drugs and prostitution complicate things even more. The problems are easy to see; the solutions are complex.
My Arms Wide Open’s training and programs move young people away from destructive patterns and towards a healthy, cohesive and vibrant community.
My Family, My Community addresses the urgent need for infrastructure by supporting the development of basic services. Communities define their priorities – it could be a well to provide fresh water, daycare for young children or new homes. In addition to providing funding, we involve local people in creating this infrastructure, ensuring a sense of ownership and skills transfer.
My Family, My Community also strengthens communities by helping individuals develop social and emotional skills to break the patterns that have gripped them for so long. We view a community as a family; we help it fulfill its potential by providing nurturing, empowerment, participation and commitment.
My Family, My Community addresses the need for community infrastructure such as:
- Multi-purpose centre that includes:
- Health care centre,
- Child care and Early Childhood Development centre,
- Community centre, and
- Seniors centre
- Ablution facilities - community and individual
- Water access - community and individual
- New home construction
- Community kitchens & bakery
- Arts & crafts
- Greening of the community with trees and plants
- Road access and community streets
- Community lighting
- Recycling and composting facility
- Refuse service
- Leadership skills that consider community, business and youth development
- Coping skills
- AIDS/HIV prevention and counseling
- Parenting and family skills
- Community support
- Community participation and involvement
- Caring for the elderly
- Drug addiction recovery
- Community violence prevention
Partnerships & Collaborations
- Manzimvula Ventures, Inc.
- The Sustainability Institute
- Champions of the Environment Foundation
- Vital Edge Consulting
- Gardens In a Bottle
- My Business, My Community
- My World, My Garden - My World In A Garden™
- My First Steps, My Path
My First Steps My Path next >